« First Sunday in Lent, Year B | Main | Second Sunday in Lent, Year B »

I zapped the pop-ups

Update 4 March 2006: I understand that pop-ups are still appearing. I've deleted some more code -- in this case, my site meter, because it includes javascript -- and I'm hoping this takes care of the problem, though I'll be sorry to lose the site meter. Please let me know in the comments if you're still getting pop-ups or if this has finally solved the problem.

Dear All,

Many thanks to those of you who let me know that folks using Windows computers were getting nasty pop-up ads for poker and ringtones and whatnot from visiting SarahLaughed.net. (I hadn't any idea that was going on -- as a Mac user, I was unaffected by the problem.) These ads were never invited or sanctioned by me, but snuck in via a sneaky little bit of code embedded in something else. I've identified the culprit and expunged it, and borrowed a Windows machine to check that the pop-ups weren't happening any more -- they don't seem to be. Please let me know if anything like that ever comes up again. I provide links to Amazon.com for books and movies and such that I personally use, I link to Toddy Coffee because their cold-process brewers make the best darn coffee I've ever tasted (those of you who went through the ordination process with me were treated to some -- you know what I'm talking about!), and after buying about twenty of them as gifts for friends, I decided I may as well put up a link to give people a discount to buy one (and yes, I do get a commission). The good folks at Luther Seminary's D.Min. program in biblical preaching are site sponsors, as is Deacon Sil's lectionary resources page; I looked into both of them before signing them on, and think they've got integrity and provide useful helps.

But I will never, ever take money from people selling online poker gaming, ringtones, or other things completely unrelated to my life and work.

In other news related to my life and work, there was some serious technical wackiness this week with the server for The Witness magazine, my regularly-paying gig (and one I'm really proud of -- it's been an important voice for justice since it started in 1917 as a print publication), which claimed a heap of time I was planning to devote this week to SarahLaughed. My post for this week is up, though, and my Lenten disciplines include moving my lectionary posts earlier in the week and planning ahead when I'm traveling and Internet access is uncertain. Thanks for hanging in there with me, all.

Blessings,

Dylan

March 3, 2006 in Administrivia | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I zapped the pop-ups:

Comments

Luckily, my work computer blocks pop ups but you should know they're still coming through.

Posted by: Joyce Miller | Mar 3, 2006 2:30:30 PM

I have a pop-up blocker so they don't bother me.

I missed your regular post last week, but what the hey, you are worth waiting for.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 3, 2006 8:23:25 PM

As for the problems with the servers at "The Witness" you might check to see of Father Jake poured some of his snake oil in there.

His posts always make me think.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 3, 2006 8:26:00 PM

It seems that the pop-ups are still there - and I have a pop-up blocker on as well.

Posted by: graham | Mar 4, 2006 6:56:23 AM

I am still getting popups with your page. I really enjoy your insights; but hate the pop-ups.

Posted by: McKenzie | Mar 4, 2006 9:42:39 AM

OK ... I'm getting back to work on what might be causing the pop-ups. It's harder for me to tell because they don't affect Macs, and the folks I'm staying with are also Mac users. If you have been getting pop-ups and you STOP getting them, please let me know, so I know I really have solved the problem this time.

Thanks, and blessings!

Dylan

Posted by: Sarah Dylan Breuer | Mar 4, 2006 9:50:21 AM

I run Windows XP, and have never had a problem with pop ups on your site. I do have a blocker, but it's the kind that let's me know something is being blocked- and that has never happened on this site.

Posted by: Tony | Mar 4, 2006 10:30:06 AM

Seems to have stopped now! :-)

Posted by: graham | Mar 4, 2006 11:45:46 AM

Dear Sarah, Perhaps I shouldn't mention brand names, but I have Yahoo toolbar and I have never had any problems with pop ups from Sarah Laughed. I very much recommend Yahoo toolbar and blocker over MSN or even Google.
I'm sorry you had to change the code, but better you than me.
I couldn't write code even if I caught one.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 4, 2006 10:07:18 PM

One of the most misunderstood things about popups is that many of them have nothing at all to do with the code of the particular site where they might appear. If the popups are a problem some users are having and other Windows users are not, it's probably that the people seeing the popups have some kind of spyware/adware junk on their computers that's generating popups at random intervals. This is a fairly common problem, and the people experiencing the pop-up issue should try running Spybot Search & Destroy as well as Ad-Aware on their systems to see if that clears it up.

In other words, Dylan, it's probably not your sitemeter that's the problem. Lots of people use those without any ad issues at all- the users seeing the popups are likely infected with some of the insidious crap floating around the Internet.

Posted by: Tiffany | Mar 4, 2006 10:35:46 PM

Dylan,

I'm certain that Tiffany is correct. I don't think it's your sitemeter or your code, but malware that has found its way to the users' computers.

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy as well as popup blocker. I don't get popups anymore, and have never had a popup when visiting your site.

Cheers,
Rick+

Posted by: Rick+ | Mar 4, 2006 11:26:06 PM

Looks like the pop ups are gone. Thanks.

I also use ad ware and Spybot Search and Destroy and have not had problems with pop up until this situation.

Posted by: McKenzie | Mar 7, 2006 7:35:49 AM

Dylan's lectionary blog: I zapped the pop-ups

« First Sunday in Lent, Year B | Main | Second Sunday in Lent, Year B »