« Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows | Main | What Not To Say on the GOEs, Part I: Church History »

kayak advice

I have recently been kayaking, and I love it! I love it so much, indeed, that I want to buy a tandem kayak or two one-person kayaks so my honey and I can go kayaking together often. We are not particularly interested in whitewater kayaking, but wants something that we could use for ocean touring as well as freshwater paddling about.

Dear Readers, do you have any advice for us with respect to kayak-shopping?

July 29, 2007 in Just for Fun, Life and Whatnot | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference kayak advice:

Comments

Dylan, I'm thrilled that you've discovered kayaking. It's one of the few things my entire family does together, since my wife and I are not good at either skateboarding or all-night keggers. And while I own a rarely used whitewater boat (I'm old, after all), my kayak of choice is a 12' recreational kayak from Wilderness Systems (the Pamlico 120). Our his and hers models are fabulous: stable, nimble, and roomy enough for a cooler of Guiness. And they're no slouch on the rough water: we've been down sections I-III of the Chatooga (porting the last precipitous drop), arguably one of the finest whitewater spots in the South. (It's where "Deliverance" was filmed, so you get the, er, drift!)

Check them out, you won't be sorry!

Posted by: Deacon Tim | Jul 29, 2007 9:28:31 PM

'been a long time since you mentioned Karen, how is she, by the way?

Posted by: Joel | Jul 30, 2007 3:22:08 PM

I would definitely go with two single kayaks. It will be a blessing to your relationship!

Posted by: Eric | Aug 6, 2007 10:27:24 AM

Posted by: Eric | Aug 6, 2007 10:27:57 AM

Posted by: Eric | Aug 6, 2007 10:28:05 AM

2 singles--easier to paddle next to each other and talk, or to go on separate or individual adventures, and easier to move--you can actually move two singles of similar lengths at the same time with two people.

I'd second Wilderness systems, but get thee to LLBean or some other paddle shop--Lincoln is also right down the road in Freeport--for a paddle demo where you can check them out--and you and yor honey might have totally different tastes and styles, so buying 2 of the same is no necessarily a good thing to do! Also check out the Want Advertiser and Uncle Henry's when you are ready to buy and know what you want for second hand boats and gear. Keep talking to people who paddle.

Posted by: Kit | Aug 10, 2007 4:05:24 PM

My partner and I are considering an inflatable two-person as space is a big issue, as in not having.
jill