« unrequited love | Main | GREAT new blog! »

my fickle bass [sic] attractions

Dylanplaysbass_1Well, it's true that I was deeply attracted to the MusicMan Stingray bass with the extra pickup that I played yesterday. We had a meaningful connection, but it was destined to be a fleeting one.

Here I am playing my new bass -- a Fender Precision Bass Lyte. I found it to be every bit as playable as the Stingray, and with pretty good sound; one was available used locally for what seemed a fair price (MUCH lower than for the Stingray), and I couldn't justify trying to come up with the extra dosh for a more expensive instrument when I'm not sure even whether I'll have folks around me to form a band once I'm done at EDS.

So I took the plunge and bought the bass. Now (I hope) my EDS colleagues and I can do a truly righteous version of "Take Me To the River." I wonder what my bass's name should be?

January 31, 2007 in Music | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference my fickle bass [sic] attractions:

Comments

Whatever you name it, when you get the EDS folks together and do "Take Me To the River," be sure to record it and post the mp3!

Posted by: MikeC | Jan 31, 2007 11:22:45 PM

Oooh...so pleased you got one..and that you plan to name her/him...In this family, all sringed instruments are female, while the woodwind are male, but I do realise this may be a purely local phenomenon. Enjoy, anyway
:-) x

Posted by: Kathryn | Feb 1, 2007 9:15:19 AM

Basses are women. It's a thing.

Bass players are also always in demand, especially those who don't approach the bass as a 'lesser guitar'.

I studied classical upright for 9 years and played electric in a jazz ensemble for 4 years.

Posted by: Mary Sue | Feb 1, 2007 11:31:55 AM

Nice one, Dylan! That's one lovely instrument. I was a bass player before 6-string, and I still hanker after one. I think mine would have to be the plain old Fender Jazz Bass though - never found one that suited me better!

Posted by: Mike Farley | Feb 1, 2007 5:56:20 PM

When do you get your first ukulele?

Posted by: RuthRE | Feb 17, 2007 9:44:23 PM

Ruth,

I'll get my first ukulele the second someone sends one to me. :)

I must admit that I've been lusting after a mandoline (the musical instrument, not the culinary one, which I've got and love!) for much longer, however.

I do plan to get some rudimentary recording equipment soon, so I can better write and release (not for money -- I'm an 'open source' kind of gal, as deeply as I've been burned by that arrangement) some more varies music.

Good question. :)

Posted by: Sarah Dylan Breuer | Feb 17, 2007 11:05:07 PM

You're in the Boston area right? There's a regular ukulele night in Somerville!

I must have a spare one here somewhere...

Posted by: RuthRE | Feb 22, 2007 8:51:02 PM

If its theme song is going to be "Take Me to the River," how about naming it Jordan?

Posted by: Nina | Mar 8, 2007 10:47:34 PM

Hey! I am a fellow bass player, and I also bought a mandolin in seminary. To quote Ferris: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Posted by: Greg | Mar 17, 2007 2:10:53 PM