« a manner of life that poses a challenge to the wider church | Main | honey, I'm home! »

moving day approaches/preaching in Michigan

Moving day is set: it's Saturday, July 29. We're renting a 26' truck that I'll drive, and we've got crews that will help us load and unload it. I'm a little nervous about driving the truck -- especially with the streets at acute angles and such close to our new digs -- but it's saving us oodles of money (renting the truck was only about $700) and also that way we don't have to wonder when our stuff will show up (in my experience, movers invariably take days to weeks longer than they said they would), and I'm also pleased that the guys helping us load the truck at our current digs are locals whom we know -- in other words, not surly, unreliable people who would trash our stuff.

But gad -- that means we actually have to have everything ready to go in two weeks! And I won't be home for the whole time either -- I'm preaching at (how cool is this?) a jazz mass for the Feast of St. Mary Magdalene on Saturday, July 22 at the Episcopal chaplaincy of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. I'm really looking forward to it, though -- it's a very cool occasion, and I get to hang out with the chaplain, whom I met when keynoting the Province V young adults' retreat this spring and found to be a very, very cool guy, and the music director, who also seems very cool indeed as well as extraordinarily talented (and without attitude!).

Moving is stressful, and I'm not looking forward to getting all our stuff together. I am really looking forward to settling in at EDS, though -- we love our new apartment and neighborhood, and we're looking forward to meeting folks in the community.

Ch-ch-ch-changes ... !

July 14, 2006 in Churchiness, Life and Whatnot, Personal News, Where's Dylan? | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference moving day approaches/preaching in Michigan:

Comments

Moving just sucks. Period.

Posted by: Popeye | Jul 14, 2006 5:17:25 PM

Prayers and sympathy as The Day approaches...You are very brave to take on the truck,- hope it behaves impeccably :-)

Posted by: Kathryn | Jul 15, 2006 2:33:19 AM

Driving in Boston, and environs. Have fun - I finally had to buy a compass to know which way was which. The Charles winds around so is no help, there are no mountains. It took me a year before I realized that what I thought was North was actually East (seeing the moon rise in the north was a clue!) I learned a lot by getting lost every time I went out in the car. Once you get to Cambridge - pahk the cah - and use the T. It is a great walking, public transport area. Prayers for your move. The BTU is a wonderful resource - take everything you ever wanted to take from famed professors but you will probably learn more from your classmates.

Posted by: Ann Fontaine | Jul 15, 2006 7:42:24 AM

Oh wow! It's so soon! I'm following your adventures with wide ears and eyes and heart, thinking that they'll be my own in a couple of years. I'm impressed with how "unflapped" you seem. And I'm planning to come hear you in Ann Arbor. I'd already been tipped off to that by someone in the blogiverse, maybe Jake. I can't wait!

Posted by: Marie | Jul 15, 2006 1:47:33 PM

I'm so glad that you're coming to Ann Arbor! I've been lurking/reading here for a good bit of time, and was thrilled when I heard that you'd be at Canterbury House. Can't wait!

Posted by: frog | Jul 15, 2006 11:46:51 PM

Very nearly everything cool in the universe either comes from Ann Arbor, and you are cool to realize it. I try not to be too impressed with myself that I was born there (in 1945), at the University of Michigan Women's Hospital. What's amazing is that after being absent from the town for over 25 years, none of the coolness has worn off. So have a cool time where the SDS was founded, but beware of the endemic habit of self-congratulation. ;-)
Louise

Posted by: Louise | Jul 17, 2006 12:16:28 PM

All of your previous posts have been about "you" moving. I got concerned about what Karen was going to do while you were away at school. Well you just answered my worries by now speaking of "We" moving. I am much relieved.

I know God will bless you both in your new venture.

Joel

Posted by: Joel | Jul 17, 2006 6:53:05 PM

The thing with the truck is, never pull up so close behind something that you don't have enough room to drive round it. This avoids having to reverse to get out of difficulties. Otherwise, just take it slowly - you are going to be much bigger than a lot of other stuff - so they will show proper respect.
Hope the move goes well. God bless.

Posted by: Sheryl | Jul 20, 2006 7:09:36 PM

Hope you post something about that jazz mass at university chapel. If its held in Singapore,it would be a first!

Posted by: Kenny Chee Hui Seng | Jul 21, 2006 4:50:04 AM

Ack! You're preaching *today*?? Dang it,I just had Sunday in my head... thats when Jazz Mass was when I was an undergrad. And I was so looking forward to hearing you and meeting you.

Posted by: Susie | Jul 22, 2006 4:14:41 PM

cheers to you two, and here's to moving! very jealous. very cool, though... our prayers and thoughts are with you,
xx
g

Posted by: gaborama | Jul 22, 2006 9:04:37 PM

Susie, I looked for you! You'd have loved it--I certainly did.

Posted by: frog | Jul 23, 2006 7:30:51 AM