« a prayer for those affected by Hurricane Katrina | Main | awwww ... »

I can't believe he said this.

I can't believe that our president said this:

The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before.  Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house.  And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch.  (Laughter.)

I'm that'll make the thousands who are displaced and destitute perk right up.

Source: White House press release, Sept. 2, 2005.

September 3, 2005 in Current Affairs, Hurricane Katrina | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I can't believe he said this.:

» I can't believe he said this. from Zebrality.com
I can't believe he said this. [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 3, 2005 5:01:43 PM

Comments

I heard that too and thought he was nuts. of course rich people can rebuild their beach homes. those without insurance can't. and most don't want to return to the scene of the trauma anyway. what is Bush going to do about them?

Posted by: Julie | Sep 3, 2005 11:04:09 PM

I heard it, live, when he said it, on C-SPAN.
I couldn't believe it either.
Or rather, I could, which was more heartbreaking.

Posted by: zenchick | Sep 4, 2005 2:38:43 AM

I think the point is that good things can come from bad. Pretty simple really...and true.

Posted by: Kathy | Sep 4, 2005 8:24:51 PM

Even with insurance, it's us ordinary folks who pay to rebuild the houses of those who just *have* to live right on the ocean.

I don't mind rebuilding houses for those who can't afford them on their own, but I really resent having my money pay to rebuild houses for people like Lott who are (a) employed, (b) making more in a year than I have in my whole life, and (c) who can afford just about anything he wants any time he wants and probably doesn't have to worry too much about paying the rent.

As for GBW, well, this is a G-rated blog, isn't it?

Posted by: mumcat | Sep 4, 2005 8:31:04 PM

I think the point is that good things can come from bad...if you have the money. Bush understands that because Mr. Lott can rebuild. What he doesn't seem to understand is that the cuts the GOP and he are pushing through into law to Medicaid, Food Stamps, and bankruptcy protection are the exact things that will keep all of the black and poor victims (i.e. the primary victims) right where they are. Scattered to the wind and without a voice.

Luckily he got reamed out for this comment...(also in upcoming TIME magazine this week) and pretty soon his numbers will plummet even more (if possible), hopefully sparking more meaningful action and less asinine comments/jokes.

Posted by: Seth | Sep 5, 2005 1:33:50 AM

Did you hear what his mother said on Marketplace (PRI)?

"What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality...And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

Posted by: Abby | Sep 6, 2005 2:44:53 PM

Unfriggingbelieveable. Well, no, it isn't. These people are divorced from the everyday reality of most of their fellow citizens. "The rich are different than you and I."

Posted by: LutheranChik | Sep 14, 2005 10:02:54 PM