« birthday outing | Main | hope they show this in the U.S. »

better off for all that we let in ...

SalierssoundcheckI might blog more on this later, but I just wanted to share a very nice surprise I had today. Karen and I went to the National Cathedral to have dinner with a couple of friends from the blogosphere, and then to go to an evening of music and conversation with Don Saliers (Professor of Sacred Music at the Candler Divinity School at Emory) and Emily Saliers (his daughter, and half of the musical duo Indigo Girls), as well as a book signing for A Song to Sing, A Life to Live, which they wrote together as a reflection on music as a spiritual practice in both intentionally sacred and secular settings.

The whole evening was really lovely, but one of the nicest parts came as a complete surprise. Karen and I were in Washington in the afternoon before we were scheduled to meet our blogger friends, so we decided to walk through the cathedral, and I heard the strains of the Indigo Girls' "All That We Let In" playing. I thought it was a recording, but then I heard that a man was singing the part normally sung by Amy Ray, so Karen and I wandered in to the sanctuary to see Don and Emily Saliers doing their soundcheck with an audience of just a few people. The whole evening felt intimate and relaxed, but the soundcheck was even more like that, and was in some ways even more fun. Quite a pick-me-up in the midst of an extraordinarily busy week!

May 10, 2005 in Music, Religion | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference better off for all that we let in ...:

Comments

I'm jealous!

Posted by: beth | May 11, 2005 9:17:04 AM

Thanks for sharing the photo and description of the evening. I wish I could have been there....

Posted by: friday mom | May 11, 2005 9:39:49 AM

I'm jealous too!

Posted by: Karen | May 11, 2005 9:44:06 AM

Rats! Mice! Politicians! I had fully intended to go to that! I was poised. I was ready. I forgot it was May.

Glad you went for all of us, Dylan.

Posted by: Louise Wheeler | May 11, 2005 9:53:35 AM

I'm glad you were able to make it, and that it was enjoyable. I remembered yesterday that I'd told you about it, but we never actually discussed it later on in terms of whether you'd actually go.

Posted by: James | May 11, 2005 10:03:41 AM

Dylan, I am glad you had this moment to be blessed! I am happy for you. Adele

Posted by: Existential Punk | May 11, 2005 10:28:23 AM

Dylan, I am glad you had this moment to be blessed! I am happy for you. Adele

Posted by: Existential Punk | May 11, 2005 10:28:24 AM

I'm pea green with envy! I still say the Indigo Girls sermon/sing-along that Mike Kinman did in Indy was the best sermon EVER!!!

Did you meet PPB?

Posted by: Marie | May 11, 2005 4:34:39 PM

I was there too! That's my back in your photo. :)

It was great walking in on her soundcheck, wasn't it? How awesome! Our own private little concert, plus getting to talk with her a bit afterwards.

I have a few pix and vids on http://www.soulfoodboks.com/indigo if y'all would like to look at them. Sorry about the end of Hammer and a Nail, my camera ran out of memory!

Enjoy,